MAY 19, 2011
I love quiche. I like almost all combinations; goat cheese and sauteed leeks, asparagus, ham, and Gruyere, as well as a traditional spinach quiche. However, my thighs don’t really like quiche. So, when I have a craving for this dish, I invite some friends over or, better yet, make one – take a bite, and send the rest to the ladies in the office at my son’s school. It’s a win, win for everyone.
I was compelled to make a quiche this week. I was compelled because as you read this I will be on a plane to Paris. Yes, Paris. It was my goal, in this year of my “big” birthday, to get myself to Paris. Over the next ten days I plan to walk every square inch of the city and eat my way through the streets of Paris, one croissant, one macaroon, one pastry, one baguette, and one souffle at a time.
So, as I fly across the Atlantic, I leave you with this savory, salty, and scrumptious quiche.
Savory Pancetta, Pea, + Shallot Quiche
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup thawed organic, frozen, baby peas
1/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese
4 thin slices pancetta
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 whole large eggs
2 large egg yolk
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of nutmeg
1 pate brisee dough(i made this dough and left out the sugar)
• preheat oven to 375* line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
• prepare the dough according to the previous post(see link above)
• slice and saute the shallots in the coconut oil, over medium heat unitl trasnlucent – about 3-5 minutes.
• stir in peas and warm through. put mixture in the prebaked quiche crust.
• saute pancetta until slightly crisp. add to the pea mixture. sprinkle with gruyere cheese.
• in a seperate bowl, whisk milk, cream, eggs, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. pour into tart shell so it covers all of the filling.
• put quiche on the prepared baking sheet.
• bake for 30-35 minutes or unitl the top is slightly brown and the quiche doesn’t jiggle when you shake it.
• let rest to room temperature.
• serve room temperature with a side salad and glass of wine.