MARCH 4, 2011
Today I am celebrating. I am celebrating the birth of a new venture. For the past 9 months, my friend (and now partner), Leslie and I have been developing a place where community comes together. Not only the community in our children’s schools, but all the communities that span the greater part of Los Angeles.
Los Angeles is a BIG place. Los Angeles is made up of urban territories; the elite who dine in the finest, the artist who lives in the lofts downtown, the soccer mom’s whom live in their cars – schlepping their little ones here, there and everywhere, and the dads who commute an hour each day to get to their careers. Los Angeles is the home of great chefs, talented clothing designers, athletes, philanthropists, and professionals. I love Los Angeles. I love my community.
I love that I can walk into my neighborhood cafe, Food, and Judy – the owner – calls me by my first name. I love walking into the post office at Rancho Park Pharmacy and sharing a conversation with Imelda – the woman who weighs my packages and gives me my stamps. I love that Brenda, the manager of Gelson’s market, sincerely hugs my kids when they walk into the market and I love running into my little community at the local ice cream store. Los Angeles is a big place, but sometimes, it can feel like a very, very small town.
A few years back, Leslie left Los Angeles and moved to Bend, Oregan. She ended up living there for two years. Upon her return to L.A. she was missing the way she felt when she walked down the street; safe, comfortable, knowing that someone was always watching her back. She missed her neighbors, leaving her front door open, the revolving door of kids criss-crossing from one house to the next. She wanted to bring that feeling back to Los Angeles, bottle it, and figure out a way to reconnect and share it here. We spent hours talking about a way to make our BIG greater Los Angeles feel more like many small towns across America.
We feel we have accomplished that. On this day, we are toasting to something that has been 8 months in the making. Today, BIGmouthLA is born and I invite all of you to be a part of our community. Sign up, become a member. Whether you live in Los Angeles or not,BIGmouthLA will bring you stories about motherhood, parenting, gardening, food, chefs, politics, the latest trends, and everything else in between.
To kick off our new community, I am offering two $25.00 gift certificates to Kay ‘n Dave’s restaurant. Kay ‘n Dave’s has been a fixutre(with three restaurants) in Los Angeles community since 1991. I want all of you to raise your glasses and join us in our toast (with this pomegranate martini) to our new community; BIGmouthLA
To further toast this great day, I want you to enjoy a few cocktails on us. That is why, I am offering a GIVEAWAY to two lucky readers who follows the entry suggestions below.
You have several chances to win the gift certificate. Just follow these instructions below(do one or do some):
- leave a comment and tell me what your favorite cocktail is. we will pass your favorites along to Kay ‘n Daves and if they like what they see, they may request your drink recipe and name the drink after you.
- become a fan of The Urban Baker on Facebook and leave me a comment there and let me know we are now “friends”.
- become a fan of Big Mouth LA on Facebook and if you feel like it, leave us a comment on our new facebook page.
- tweet this tweet; copy and paste the following Tweet into the Twitter Message Field; @theurbanbaker has two gift certificates for Kay ‘n Daves -a giveaway; enter to win here: http://is.gd/FYBXZG. Or be creative and write one of your own!
- follow the urban baker on Twitter; here.
- follow Big Mouth LA on Twitter; here and get all the news on our weekly deals and community billboard
- subscribe to The Urban Baker and receive weekly updates and become my virtual friend.
- subscribe to Big Mouth LA and recieve our weekly newsletters and updates on all the fabulous deals (invite your friends to join too-they will thank you later).
• the winner will be chosen at random by random.org.
• the contest closes on Friday, March 11th at 11:00 p.m., pacific standard time. I will send the winner an e-mail letting them know of their good fortune.
• Please don’t forget to leave me your email address! The giveaway is open to residents of the U.S.A. only (it could be a good excuse to get you to visit L.A.).
Good luck and thanks in advance for joining our new community!
We have two winners: Congrats to Molly and Jackie.
Shoot me an email to snsalzman [at] gmail [dot] com, and I will send you off your gift certificiates!