DECEMBER 24, 2009
I love having Pate Brisee Pastry in the freezer. Actually, I love having most anything in the freezer. At the moment I have Marinara sauce, Bolognese sauce, vegetable, chicken & turkey stock, lime, orange & lemon juice (all previously frozen in ice cube trays and then bagged in Ziploc), a turkey loaf, more pastry, chocolate chip cookies (frozen in perfect round balls-ready to bake) and some Beef Bourguignon. I like having stuff like this for those nights when I just can’t muster up the energy to cook dinner.
Tonight, for X-mas eve, we are going to the neighbors and I wanted to bring a little something, even though the food is going to be plentiful. I defrosted the pastry in the fridge over night. I had some goat cheese and leeks and opted to make little bite size tarts rather than one huge one. Just wanted to mix it up a little.
I shaped the tart dough in the a.m., then took off for yoga. When I got home, I popped them in the oven to cook, made the custard and sauteed the leeks. I love this recipe it is a winner every time.
Goat Cheese and Leek Mini Quiche
• 3/4 cup whole milk
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
• 2 leeks, washed and chopped, white part only
• 4 ounces mild goat cheese, crumbled
• 3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
• pinch of nutmeg
• melt 1-2 tablespoons butter in a saute pan.
• add leeks and saute, over medium heat, until transparent (about 10-15 mintues)
• set aside to cool (this can be done 1 day in advance).
• blind bake tart dough for 17 minutes. let cool before filling.
• scatter leeks and goat cheese over baked tart shell
• whisk milk, cream, eggs, yolks, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. pour over leeks and goat cheese
• bake 35 minutes at 375*
Also whipped up a pitcher of Cranberry Margaritas.
• 1 1/4 cup cranberry juice
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 cup cranberries
• 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
• 3/4 cup tequila
• 1/2 cup contreau
• 3 cups ice
• dip glasses in cranberry juice then sugar.
• blend all of the above in a blender. Add ice
and then blend to desired slushiness or serve
on the rocks.