Yesterday was the first day of summer. Three more days of school and for my kids, summer officially starts. Beach camp, sleep away camp, art camp, baseball camp, days at all the Los Angeles museums, road trips, days spent in our p.j.’s, and lots and lots of long bike rides.
I love not being on a schedule. All four of us need these 78 days and they couldn’t have come soon enough. From September to the end of June, life is hectic, riddled with schedules, and not so flexible. Summer is the antithesis of this and summer is what we long for.
Using pantry staples, left over egg yolks and jar of homemade caramel sauce, Eli and I stirred and churned and came up with an ice cream inspired by David Lebovitz. Using his basic white chocolate ice cream recipe, we swirled in the caramel sauce and added some candied pecans. Super rich but super good!
White Chocolate-Caramel Swirl Ice Cream
adapted from The Perfect Scoop
yield: 1 quart
- 2/3 cup (130 g) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream (500 ml, total)
- 8 ounces (230 g) white chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 large egg yolks
- • add the sugar, the milk and 1 cup of heavy cream to the saucepan and warm the mixture.
- • put the chopped white chocolate in a large bowl.
- • in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm cream mixture, whisking constantly as you pour in the warm cream. pour the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- • cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spatula. strain the custard over the white chocolate, and stir completely. add the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream. place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and refrigerate. once chilled, pour into your ice cream maker, and churn for about 30 minutes.
- • pour mixture into a container with a tight fitting lid and freeze for 6 hours before indulging!
More Ice Cream Treats:
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream – Recipe Girl
- Lime Ice Cream – Two Peas and their Pod
- Butterscotch Pecan Ice Cream – The Urban Baker
- Chocolate Gelato – Gourmande in the Kitchen
- Burnt Sugar Ice Cream – The Food Librarian
- Coconut Almond Ice Cream – Bake at 350