I like to wake up early, while the house is really, really quiet and have a little “me” time. Generally, I make myself a cup of tea, read the NY Times and the LA Times food and life style section ( on line ), read my emails and check out my favorite blogs. I love that 1 hour in the a.m. right before all the turmoil and chatter begins.
Yesterday, I was reading Sprinkle Bites and she had posted a recipe for French Toast Muffins. Before I had finished reading the post, I was on my way into the kitchen to make these for the family for breakfast. I love, love, love one bowl recipes. To not have to drag out my mixer and all its parts is truly a wonderful thing. This is one of those recipes. Easy, quick, pantry ingredients and scrumptious.
Eli, as usual, gave it two thumbs up, Levi ate every bite, and Isaac – my savory, loving, Doritos eating chow hound ate every last morsel and asked for seconds. The reviews are in – 3 thumbs up!
adapted from Sprinkle Bites ( a seriously wonderful blog)
yield: 12 muffinsingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter
powdered sugar, for dusting
• preheat oven to 400*. line cupcake pan with 12 liners.
• whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
• in another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
• make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. stir until just incorporated, don’t over mix.
• fill cupcake liners half full. bake 10-15 minutes. muffins are done when toothpick comes out clean
• poke holes in the muffin tops and gently spoon over 1-2 tablespoons of good maple syrup. dust with powdered sugar.